Tuesday, March 20, 2012

$75 Air intake from American Muscle

So the air intake (American Muscle brand, not BBK or K&N) arrived at my house on wednesday but I didn't open it until Sunday night. I spent the entire afternoon figuring out how the whole thing fit together and tried to install it but it didn't work. A friend was over watching me try to figure out the whole thing in frustration but I ended up failing. Not only did I fail to put the aftermarket intake into my car, I also could not put the stock intake back in because one of the bolts just didn't want to fit in properly again to the Air Filter Housing. So my car ended up resting in my garage the entire Monday and when Monday afternoon came around, I started working on it again. I also had a friend come along just in case I needed a second hand. This time though, I bought myself a wrench from Home Depot because the guy who helped me told me I needed a wrench to hold the nut at a firm position so that way I could screw the bolt through the nut with my other socket wrench. So having to have taken out the stock intake once already, I took the stock intake out again in about 10 minutes or so (I put it back into the car Sunday night just to be sure) and then started connecting the aftermarket intake. Right when I got to the bolts and nuts, I was wishing I had all the luck I could get because I didn't know if it would work or not. Surprisingly, it did work. So I connected the largest tube with the Mass Air Flow Sensor using the bolts and nuts provided with the kit. After that, I told my friend to try the smaller of the two rubber couplers on (seeing as how much power he used just to try and expand the rubber coupler opening to fit it into the throttle body opening, I didn't have that arm strength to do what he was able to do for me). The entire process took about two hours due to not fitting well, parts getting stuck, etc. so now, here are pictures of the stock intake, the installation process, and the aftermarket intake.
This is the stock intake


This was after the stock intake was taken out. Now just waiting for the aftermarket intake to be installed.


The aftermarket intake has been installed, and this is what it looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment