Monday, January 23, 2012

Pedal mod and heel to toe downshifting? I think so

So two days ago, I did my very first mod, which happened to be the gas pedal mod (now I can open 100% throttle instead of only being stuck at 80-90% throttle). I used an air pressure hose and two clamps, pulled the gas pedal towards the driver's seat, and found out that there was about a little more than an inch of throttle room to play with. So I cut an inch of pressure hose off of the original, I'd say about 4 inches and then later stuck the two hose clamps onto the pressure hose. Then here's the hard part. I had to squeeze myself UNDER the steering wheel to get access to the throttle cable (there is another way opening full throttle but it's actually going under the hood, unscrewing some screws, and then by trial and error trying to guess what was the best fit for 100% throttle). So I start trying to fit the air pressure hose onto the throttle cable a few times and find out that it's a pain in the ass because of the cable end. I tried so many times that I started cramping up in my lower back and my shoulders. It ended up being that the bottom half of my body was outside the car and the top half of my body under the steering wheel. It was a good 45 minutes until I actually managed to secure the pressure hose onto the throttle cable, and now I was read to start the hard part. Then I had to put on two hose clamps and tighten them with a socket with a screwdriver head. Now, when I started this, I had absolutely NO idea how I would get up there to the throttle cable and tighten the clamps. This included more cramping up of the lower back as well as my shoulders. This one section took me about 15 minutes to get, so in total it took me about an hour to finish when in reality should have taken me about a few minutes. It was hard work, but it ended up being successful...for about a little more than half a day. While it stayed intact though, I had a chance to experience what heel to toe shifting was like. I did a few good ones in the morning but by the time afternoon hit, I was revving too high and sometimes not enough so the car ended up jerking forward. Half an hour after school ended today, I drove to home depot, went to pick up two clamps and a socket wrench and headed back home to see if there was an alternate solution to the pressure hose because I KNEW that the pressure hose wouldn't stay for long. I was right. After I went to Home Depot a second time to buy plastic tubing, I went on over to Orchard Supply Hardware, only to have the pressure hose fall off two traffic lights before my destination. Thankfully it was just two traffic lights because I had already gotten used to the full throttle power so I wasn't used to only 80% throttle power. I spent a good half hour at OSH to finally get the things I wanted, and so I headed home satisfied. Right when I got home, I got down to business. I spent nearly half an hour trying to cut a gap in the nylon spacers with a razor blade tool. I made a few dents in the wooden table but whatever, I had no time to worry about that. Instead, I took a small towel which looked to be estimating 9x9. After I got the towel, I got back to cutting the cap. I now realize why when people use razor blade tools, they wear gloves. NO, nothing happened to me but I was close for a ton of times. So after I had made a decent gap in the nylon spacer, I went into my garage and started working. I placed a blanket on the ground underneath the pedals and placed my phone under the pedals in front of the blanket. Since the ground of the car was not completely flat, I used a shoe to make my phone flat and used a flashlight application to my advantage. I got the flashlight to shine just where the throttle cable was and started to fit the nylon spacer onto it. I tried a few times but it didn't end up working as well as I had hoped so I went back into the house a few more times to widen the gap. Finally, it worked, so I snapped the nylon spacer onto the throttle cable and put duct tape over it. I went out for a test drive afterwards and I LOVED the feeling of full throttle being back. I just hope it stays on now...unlike the *cough**cough* pressure hose *cough**cough*.

No comments:

Post a Comment