Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Steeda Tri Ax short shifter handle

So yesterday, for some reason after I successfully fixed the gas pedal mod, I wanted to move onto another mod. That mod was? Yep, it was the installation of the Steeda Tri Ax Short Shifter Handle. So before I went to sleep last night, I asked my good friend Brooke if I could borrow some tools. The tools I got from her was a 8 mm Socket (I didn't end up using this one) and a 10 mm Socket. So then today, after school, I rushed back home to start the process only to know that the 10 mm socket that I got from her did not fit on the two nuts that held the shifter handle onto the base. So then, I immediately drove to Kragen Auto Parts only to realize that I needed more than just those two sockets. This one guy was very knowledgeable about this kind of stuff and so he informed me that I needed a breaker bar, at least to loosen the nut and then use the 8 mm socket to completely remove it. So then I bought the breaker bar along with another 8 mm socket (because one end of it had to fit the breaker bar) and went home. After I went home, I tried for about 10 minutes to try and loosen up the nuts but whatever I did, I just couldn't loosen it. So then by this time, I was completely frustrated and drove back to Kragen to ask for additional tips. I then told the guy I wanted to show him what was wrong and he agreed to follow me back to my car. I then showed him what my problem was and right then, he proved to me that I was as dumb as hell. He said "lefty loosey righty tight." He loosened the two nuts easily and so after that, I went back into the store, bought a whole amateur set of sockets and another socket to fit the two nuts that came with the short shifter handle. After that, I rushed back home to get started on the process. This was where the real work started. I twisted off the shift knob, took off the center console, then removed the shift boot. After I removed the shift boot, I used the 8 mm socket attached to the breaker bar and started to loosen up the two nuts. To my expectations, the two nuts did start coming lose and so I switched to the 8 mm socket and the wrench that I got from Brooke to remove both the nuts. After that, I took off the stock shifter handle only to think that I needed to use a part from the stock handle for the new handle. So I spent a good 15 minutes wasting all my strength trying to pry the foam material off only to later realize that I didn't need to do that at all. After I thought that all was lost and that this had proven to be a failed attempt, I did a last search online and that's when I noticed my mistake. I went onto the page with the shifter handle and checked thoroughly to see if there was a tutorial on how to install it. Sure enough, there was. I realized that I had been completely oblivious to the fact that it had been there the whole time and that I was just careless enough to miss it. After I checked it out, I immediately knew 100% on what to do. So then I started doing what it told me to do in the process but then that's when something critical happened. I was tightening on one of the nuts when suddenly, the 8 mm socket fell off the wrench and then down below the shifter base. By the time this happened, I thought "oh shit, I don't have a jack stand and I don't know how to open up the bottom of the car either, what do I do now...?" I thought of calling my mom but I KNEW she would be extremely mad. So then I still ended up calling her, that was no help. I asked her for my godfather's phone number but she told me he was busy and that he was going to go to her office later during the night, so that didn't help either. So then I called Kragen Auto Parts, they couldn't do anything about it. I called Triple A and they said they didn't have anyone who could do it. So then what I thought was my last attempt and I really didn't' want to do it, was to call my relatives. To my very GOOD luck, they weren't home either. So then at this time, I thought 'ok well I am really screwed now. the stock shifter handle is most likely officially unusable so I have to find a way to make the new handle useable.' What happened was that for some strange reason, I thought I could feel my way below the shifter base and see where the socket was and see if I could try and get it out. So I ended up doing so and in the end, I found it. It wasn't that deep so I thought I would be in luck. I tried sticking a screwdriver in there but the socket was at an angle so the screwdriver couldn't even touch it. Then I thought of sliding my pointer in deeper into the small crack and it actually did hurt a bit but it was manageable (cut my skin a lot) and I managed to slide the socket to the wider end of the hole. I knew I had to go on with this no matter how much pain there was because first of all, this was a friend's socket after all. Second, I wouldn't know what would happen if I left the socket in there and just went for a drive with it being stuck in the exterior of the car, next to the shifter linkage. So then after I got a hold of the socket with both my pointer and middle finger, I decide to swap out my middle finger and stick my thumb in, to see if I could pull out the socket. To my surprise, I pulled it out. After that, I just felt RELIEVED. I texted my mom telling her that everything was ok now and I continued on with the installation. It didn't take long after that, all I had to do was screw on both the nuts tight and I was done. That only took like 2 minutes max so in the end, everything worked out fine and I got the socket out. Then, I went out for a test drive to test out the shifting through all the gears and everything worked perfectly. This was a win win situation. Even though my hands still hurt as of this moment I'm typing up this post, the pain is worth trading for what I got in return. This was once again, a win win situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment