Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What's the purpose of street racing?

Street racing, for the most part, is where people take their built up cars onto the streets, find random people to race with, and set up a location to race at, then go on their way to that specific location and start the event. Now, in my opinion, street racing is just for the adrenaline rush. The other perhaps 40% of it, at most, is proving that you're faster than the other guy. Now, I don't street race that much, I only tend to speed because I love speeding, but if I know that the guy right next to me accelerates just as fast as me and doesn't stop when we both reach the speed limit, I know he's up to something. That's when I REALLY step on the throttle. Even though I only drive a V6 mustang which doesn't have much horsepower at all compared to other sports cars (I don't even have a cobra, which is the lowest end model for a mustang capable of racing), I still do pretty well against other sports cars that are not modified either. I have ran against a couple of people who have modded their cars but then I run out of luck and get my ass handed to me. Once in a while, I search up videos of street racing on YouTube, I always hear either friends/girlfriends/mothers weeping about a friend/boyfriend/son who ends up dying in a fatal car crash because of racing at high speeds, I do get scared and decide "well maybe I should stop speed too" but in the end, that never happens. Take today for example, I went to Los Gatos to buy keyboard covers for my sister and I because we just got our macbook pros a week ago. As I was nearing where the two lanes merge, This mercedes benz convertible comes up right beside me and the driver was also a teen (I'm thinking he was either just as old as me or a bit older) wearing a white hoodie. I do my usual hard launch, which I revved up to about 3000 RPMs then let go of the clutch and around 2000 RPMs, and start accelerating fast toward 40 mph. He didn't seem to accelerate too slowly either. By the time I hit 50, he hit 50 too, we were both parallel to each other. After that happened, I knew what he was up to, he wasn't going to give up. That was when I really floored the gas pedal in third gear sent myself up to 70 mph and then shifted into fourth gear, gradually going up to 90 mph and then the guy starts slowly down. Even this little time frame was an illegal street race because first of all, it started at a red light. Second of all, we were traveling well beyond the speed limit, I ended up being 45 mph over and the guy stopped at 70 mph, so he was 25 mph over. I always get good feeling of adrenaline rushing whenever I'm speeding, but then always, when I search up youtube videos of people street racing, there's always that sense of being scared to speed again because after all, I just started officially street racing when I got my mustang. The Lexus that I used to drive was my doors to street racing, it was my mustang that really led me into doing stuff because of the car's ability to race. For me, it took me several months to realize what I thought was fun for me. I realized that trying to find people to race with every day was not fun, because not everyone wants to come out close to the middle of the night and find some driver on the road and just start racing. I realized that for me, I only want to race once in a while but as for the rest of the time, just speed for fun. I also found out that racing is what I can use to prove myself with, because I honestly suck in academics and also in the sports that I play, but barely anyone I know races as much as I do. Yes, a ton of my friends speed and do highway runs, but no one that I know goes up against strangers as much as I do. I don't ask for it either, but I'm thinking it's because I drive a mustang and I speed excessively, and if someone with a sports car, stick shift, sees me speeding past them, they want to race with me, see if I'm really that fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment